Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. The Forum at SIBrewers.com
News: "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Corn beef  (Read 4565 times)

McCoy

• Lager
Corn beef
« on: March 18, 2011, 19:39:25 PM »

I made corn beef in a crock pot

1 3~4lb corn beef brisket
12~ red potato
1 12oz can of beer I used PBR
1 big bag of carrots
1 cup of water

I put these all in a the pot add the spice mix that came with the beef and put on low for 11 hours.  Last 1/2 hour I add a quartered cabbage and turn on high. 

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
    • Southern Illinois Brewers
Re: Corn beef
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 20:24:55 PM »

What are your thoughts on substituting a deer roast for the beef? This maybe a stupid question, but where exactly does the corn come in?

Larry

• Administrator
  • Mash
    • Southern Illinois Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:19 AM »

I think the proper term is "corned" beef.
I offer the following:(thanks wiki).

Corned beef (US) or Salt beef (UK) are types of salt-cured beef product present in many beef eating cultures. The English term is used interchangeably in modernity to refer to three distinct types of cured beef:

Wet-cured in spiced brine: more supple and tender due to its brining, and in modern times is usually made from brisket or round steak

Dry-cured with granular salt: much drier and firmer in texture even after rehydration and can be made from various cuts of beef

Canned minced salted meat: ground salted beef that is crumbly and oily and made from various portions of beef

So, Ryan a deer roast should work with some allspice, cloves, etc. And of course maybe an Irish brew to set the mood.  ;D

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
    • Southern Illinois Brewers
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 14:14:58 PM »

That sounds excellent. I'll be staying away from the canned version, though. Doesn't sound too appetizing. I need to make some of this corned beef for reubens. Had one last night and waited almost an hour for it. Nothing like a good reuben with real corned beef (or venison) on it.
Pages: [1]

Home Help Calendar Login Register