Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. The Forum at SIBrewers.com
News: "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemmingway

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beer smith vs.....?  (Read 6319 times)

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
    • Southern Illinois Brewers
Beer smith vs.....?
« on: March 24, 2011, 20:46:46 PM »

So, I'd like to know what brewing software everyone is using, and maybe get some pros and cons from people who have used several different types.

I use BeerSmith and aboslutely love it. I've not used any other, but it seems to be incredibly comprehensive.

Dearing

• Lager
Re: Beer smith vs.....?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 21:51:00 PM »

I use promash for no other reason than thats what I have always used and it does everything I need it to.
Bottled: NOTHING!
Fermenting: NOTHING!
On Deck: Red Rye, Calypso Pale Ale, Eternal IPA

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer"

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:20:27 AM »

I was talking to someone tonight about whether any of the specialty malts contribute fermentable sugars at all. My beersmith software adds to the potential alcohol when I enter more of say, crystal 60. Does promash do the same?

Dearing

• Lager
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 22:00:33 PM »

Yeah it does. 

Dearing

• Lager
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 22:06:37 PM »

I was under the impression that all malts can have a certain amount of fermentable sugars.  It may not be much, but I thought all of them had at least some form of maltose or dextrose.

I dont know though.

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 00:07:38 AM »

I'm not really sure on that one. I assumed they did, but that may only be because of what beersmith has told me. I'm not sure what reaction happens during kilning. Caramelizing the sugars doesn't really tell me much about it.

Apparently beersmith just uploaded a upgrade for the hops list in the software. That's the first I've heard of there being updates to it.

Lennybuzz

• Lager
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:02:55 AM »

I  broke down and bought Beer Smith a few months ago up untill then I was using an excell spreadsheet for my software. I like Beer Smith it is good software, but with version 2.0 coming out now and I have to turn around and buy it again I will keep using the origional or I may consider using Brew Target a free open source brewing software. Brew Target has a little learning curve but it is free and you can import and export recipes and databases from Beer Smith in beer XML format. Brew Pal is good too for your Ipod or Iphone I just wish it could import recipes. My .02
"Life is too short to drink $hitty beer"

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 00:01:58 AM »

I  broke down and bought Beer Smith a few months ago up untill then I was using an excell spreadsheet for my software. I like Beer Smith it is good software, but with version 2.0 coming out now and I have to turn around and buy it again I will keep using the origional or I may consider using Brew Target a free open source brewing software. Brew Target has a little learning curve but it is free and you can import and export recipes and databases from Beer Smith in beer XML format. Brew Pal is good too for your Ipod or Iphone I just wish it could import recipes. My .02

I found a free app for brewing on smartphones. It works on my android platform, but I have no idea if it will work for other platforms, such as an iphone or other. It's called Brewzor. It's great! You can import the BJCP guidelines, all sorts of data for grains and hops, and it includes all sorts of calculation tools.
Pages: [1]

Home Help Calendar Login Register