Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. The Forum at SIBrewers.com
News: “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
Benjamin Franklin

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Temp Controller  (Read 5339 times)

dukemartini

• Extract
Temp Controller
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »

Yesterday at the meeting I was talking about fridge temp controllers with a couple of folks and I thought that I would put a link to the controller that I have.

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html

Justin
Primary:Lambic
Secondary: Empty
On Deck: Alibi Red Mild, Late Hopped APA, Lucier Lager,
Bottled:  Saison du la Sorcier
Kegged:Solidarity Black Mild, SMaSH: Munich/Northern Brewer

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
    • Southern Illinois Brewers
Re: Temp Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:18:36 AM »

Did you drill through the back of the fridge to get the temp probe inside? I was wondering what you might use to seal the hole, other than expanding foam insulation.

dukemartini

• Extract
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 23:59:18 PM »

I drilled through the 2x6 collar that I attached to the fridge. I also didn't plug the hole with anything so I can move the temp controller to my other fermentation chamber.
Justin

dukemartini

• Extract
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 00:01:46 AM »

Here is an inside view where you can also see the freezer section of the fridge that I had to bend down (carefully) to make room for a carboy.
Justin

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 00:04:15 AM »

I see. So I'm guessing the rest of the plastic freezer compartment just comes out and it leaves the coil behind?

I've been wanting to ferment a lager in the extra space of my kegerator. I thought it'd be a perfect time to do it, since the beer in my current keg tastes like week old french fries. I wouldn't mind bumping the temp up to 50, because I don't think it'd make the kegged beer any worse. The only iffy part is... how accurate is the temp knob?

dukemartini

• Extract
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 13:52:02 PM »

This is actually not the fermentation chamber that I fabricated completely, this is a (mostly) intact fridge I use for single batches. It functions just as you see it in the pictures. For your kererator, you will need to find out the liquid temp on your own. Some folks put a floating thermometer in a glass of water to get an idea of the temp. Of course your yeast will produce some heat for a few days during vigorous fermentation so there will be a discrepancy between the temps but its still better than a bathroom floor. :) Also, beware of the stick on thermometer things, they tend to read the ambient air temp more so than the liquid temp.
Justin

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:39 AM »

This is actually not the fermentation chamber that I fabricated completely, this is a (mostly) intact fridge I use for single batches. It functions just as you see it in the pictures. For your kererator, you will need to find out the liquid temp on your own. Some folks put a floating thermometer in a glass of water to get an idea of the temp. Of course your yeast will produce some heat for a few days during vigorous fermentation so there will be a discrepancy between the temps but its still better than a bathroom floor. :) Also, beware of the stick on thermometer things, they tend to read the ambient air temp more so than the liquid temp.

Yes, I've used to thermometer in the cup of water trick before. I works pretty well! And, I think i actually threw away the thermometer sticker right when I got it... I somehow knew they weren't too accurate.

Any bright ideas for heating a fermentation chamber? I've heard of some people using light bulbs, but that is a bad idea all around.

dukemartini

• Extract
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 15:29:26 PM »

I use a heating pad, like the type you get at Walgreens for a sore back. The one I have is rather stiff so it can basically stand up on its own next to the carboy, I make sure that it isn't touching the carboy directly though.
Justin

jaicmac

• Lager
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 19:00:53 PM »

When I use a heating pad, I wrap it in a plastic bag because I'm afraid of liquid leeking. Over the years I've had two glass carboys crack slightly at the base during fermentation dripping liquid . I've also had beer blow out with yeast early in fermentation.
Jack
Grúdlann MhicKillip

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 03:59:39 AM »

A heating pad is a pretty darn good idea. Aaron Kleidon told me he got a heating element to install in an old freezer. I'm not sure what wattage though. I can't imagine there being an element with a low enough rating for it to be safe. Maybe a different type of heating element?
Pages: [1]

Home Help Calendar Login Register