Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. The Forum at SIBrewers.com
News: "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: freezing yeast... oops  (Read 3098 times)

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
    • Southern Illinois Brewers
freezing yeast... oops
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:17:13 AM »

So..... I somehow forgot that I put my 2L start in the freezer to cool it down quickly to drop the yeast out of suspension. It didn't freeze solid, but I'd say half of it is slushy. Is there a need to be horribly concerned? It's for my doppelbock I'm doing this weekend, so I was planning on pitching that slurry into a 4L starter. I figured it may not matter since I'm stepping it up. Thoughts?

Larry

• Administrator
  • Mash
    • Southern Illinois Weather
Re: freezing yeast... oops
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »

Not to rain on your parade, but when we lived in Wisconsin, and Michigan, we had troubles with "dead" yeast in the cold months coming via UPS, etc.

I'm not sure what the effect is, if your is not a popsicle, maybe enough cells are still alive?

Hmmm...yeast popsicle....[burp].......:)

Ryan Tockstein

• Mash
    • Southern Illinois Brewers
Re: freezing yeast... oops
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 19:54:40 PM »

Sure wasn't a popsicle. It was only half frozen slushy. But it tasted sour when I decanted it to step it up to 1 gallon. So I'm kinda worried that it's infected. But, I tried the big one today, and it didn't seem the same at all. It seemed to be a pretty good starter. Kinda weird.
Pages: [1]

Home Help Calendar Login Register